Grundy County Health Ambassador Program
GRUNDY COUNTY HEALTH AMBASSADOR MISSION
The mission of the Grundy County Health Ambassador (GCHA) program is to recruit passionate, civic-minded people who will promote the positive transformation of Grundy County residents through physical, mental and social health awareness.
As the GCHC strives toward improving the health and well-being of Grundy County residents, it's always looking to find passionate people who want to make a positive difference in their community. One way that the health council is accomplishing this is through the formation of the Grundy County Health Ambassador program.
This program allows you to take action - promote healthy initiatives and seek out ways to better meet the health-based needs of your community. Serve in any setting: your workplace, church, service organization or other social network.
WHO CAN BECOME A HEALTH AMBASSADOR?
To be a GCHA all you need is passion and excitement about the mission of the GCHC and the willingness to help in your community!
WHAT WILL I DO AS A HEALTH AMBASSADOR?
As a GCHA, you will be an advocate and educator for your community. In addition to promoting regular GCHC events and activities, you are empowered to be creative as you serve your personal communities. Some examples of activities could include:
- Educating your church family and community about Diabetes Prevention.
- Starting a group exercise class or walking club.
- Encouraging your family and friends to make better food choices.
- Starting a work-place fitness program with your employer.
- If you have a dog, invite friends to your local park and go dog walking together.
ARE THERE EXISTING PROGRAMS AND TOOLS THAT I CAN USE AS A GCHA?
Yes! We will equip you with a programs and ideas toolkit to help you in your service. In fact, we will work with you to sign your family, workplace or church up with a new program called Healthier Tennessee. This free, easy wellness program is specially designed to meet your personal community needs!
Furthermore, the GCHC has a wide array of programs and activities that you can pick from in addition to your own ideas.
• Reversing Diabetes Seminars (RDS) • Gentle Yoga
• Cooking Matters • Community Gardens
• Chronic Disease Self-Management • Baby & Me Tobacco Free
• Diabetes Self-Management • FACT(Free and Clear TN)
• Diabetes Prevention Program • Tobacco free ballparks
• Walking competitions • Healthy Concessions
• Zumba Boot camps • Back to School Bash
• Weekly Health Articles • ACTIV8 in after school
WHAT ABOUT TIME COMMITMENT?
The GCHC meets once each month at noon to discuss our team's projects and activities. You are encouraged to come and share your progress with us. You are a part of our team and we want to hear about the services you are providing. You have the flexibility to incorporate your GCHA service into your lifestyle as you see fit.
ARE THERE ANY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE?
Yes! Not only do we want to provide you with tools and resources now to serve your community but we also want to assist you with continued opportunities to help you in your future pursuits. These opportunities can come in a number of ways including: seminars and conferences, online educational courses and webinars, event planning and many other training and development opportunities.
WHAT IF I'M SELECTED?
If you are selected as a GCHA, you will be immediately notified. We will then have a ceremony (date TBA) recognizing you and your fellow ambassadors. To complete the selection process, we'll have a GCHA Retreat that will help you in your preparation as you go out into your community to serve.
If you want to...
- Promote health and well being
- Share information about health programs offered in the community
- Receive funding or be notified of funding opportunities for your community to pursue healthy initiatives
- Work with other groups in the county on health issues
- Share life experiences to encourage others
Apply to become a
Grundy County Health Ambassador!